Sunday 13 October 2013

Memories:

“I have kept all those memories alive and told my kids (all six of them) how one day I would take them back to Port St Johns to see how growing up should be.” 
(Pierre Malan, son of Lorrie Malan, who owned and ran the Central Bakery in the 1960's and 1970's)


Sunrise over the River Mouth, Port St Johns 2013 * Photo taken by and reproduced with permission from Dale Clendennen. See her Facebook page: South Africa My Best


"I often think of those days in Port St Johns, how carefree they were.  We LIVED, had fun, were happy, and all with no booze or drugs.  I do hope lots of people will contact you and that we can read the stories of those days." (Shirley Eayrs Smith, daughter of James Eayrs, baker in the 1950's)
 
“I have on numerous occasions wanted to document my early experiences of growing up in Port St Johns, playing cricket in the town, my boarding school experience, living on Retreat Farm up on the west bank of the river, and the beautiful memories of the simple basic things that I did with my little friends, the children of 'Pikinin', the manager on Dad's farm.  I had intentions collecting my memories, but never got around to doing so.  This is the inspiration to do it."  (Desmond Daniel, ex-Port St Johns resident and national cricketer)

No comments:

Post a Comment