Sunday 13 October 2013

Kevin Daniel is left behind on the 'Vubu sandbar:


Louis Smit, son of Andy Smit, proprietor of Whittaker’s Store, tells an amusing story of an escapade out to sea and coming back through the river mouth.  This story is told here verbatim, as this is part of its appeal.  The words in italics should be read in Afrikaans. 
“Dave Banks, my brother-in-law, had a boat and we went out to sea to do some fishing. Kevin (Daniel) and I went out, with Dave as the skipper.  It was high tide when we went out through the river mouth but we didn’t catch anything, hell, so we decided to go back; the sharks were taking all our bait.  We got back to the river mouth, but it was low tide by then, but we got stuck on a sand bank in the middle of the blerrie mouth, hey.  Kevin and myself were overboard, pushing the boat off the sandbar, Dave was driving the boat when he suddenly reached deeper water and shouted ‘Jump on!’ I got on but God, we left Kevin behind – in that shark-infested blerrie Umzimvubu!  Poor Kevin! I was shouting ‘Dave, Dave, stop!’ Kevin just about walked across the water to get to the boat hey!!  You don’t want to be left behind in that water.
            Kevin and I talked about it just recently when I saw him.  It happened in 1981, and he said to me just the other day ‘Do you remember that time I got left behind by the ski boat?’
We refused to go out to sea with Dave again after that.  He got other poephols to go out to sea with him.  Dave wasn't the best skipper!"

Same incident but a completely different memory.  This is Kevin's response to the story:


"Louis Smit seems to have conveniently forgotten earlier that day out at sea when yours truly was dispatched to the front of the boat to throw the anchor out. We were sitting an Easterly chop, short, sharp and frequent waves making things very uncomfortable. I reached into the hatch, and pulled out a massive bunch-up of anchor rope. I managed to unravel enough to tie onto another boat instead of dropping anchor, and on that crazy sea, our boat would drift to one side, then it would snap around and drift the other way.  As the boat did this, it sent me off into the sea, still clutching the bunch of remaining rope. That was a frightening experience, and the rope held me alongside the boat, and both Dave and Louis both rushed to the side to pull me back in, and nearly capsized the boat. 

The boat up ahead undid the rope and we headed back to the shallow river mouth, where the second disaster took place in that chocolate brown water. (That's why Dave couldn't see the sandbank).  The boat lay on one side, Louis conveniently on the lower side, which is why he got back on so quickly.  I was hanging off the other side, feet not even touching at times. 

That didn't stop us crewing out to sea, but both of us either had a golfing commitment or the surf was pumping whenever Dave suggested we go deep sea fishing again with him. Dave eventually sold the boat."


3 comments: